Thursday, May 04, 2006
Back on the mat
I tend to break easy. Well, especially to sprain easy... neck, ankle, you name it, I've sprained it - well, actually only those two :p -
Usually it's in really silly accidents, as boring as stepping off the sidewalk. That one actually ended up in a plaster cast (the ankle, not the sidewalk) and my foot was sooo blue/green/purple when the cast came off that I almost fainted upon seeing it. Btw, question for the scientists: why on earth are we ok, just so long as we don't see the blood or the bruise? And the most thrilling accident for an audience was the neck sprain when I rode head first into a pole, on a bike not on a poor horse. Unintentionally of course, it's not my fault the flaming pole decided to have a stroll in the middle of the cycle path... And it did that exactly when I was looking down to check if there wasn't a hole on my trousers tststs. Someone oughta educate them poles. So the result was a bigger hole in the trousers than there already was, and a flawless performance of a faint on stage that evening. Unintentional again. Seriously, why on earth did about 50 people decide to gather in a theatre to watch a show the exact evening when I fainted from off my stool while acting the part of a drunken beggar? tststs, voyeuristic all of them. Oh yeah, and the video was shot that evening so that the faint has way more fans than my play (which I was mainly directing, the acting part was an accident really) will ever ever have.
So my advice for the would-be famous is: just have an accident before stepping on stage, it works wonders. The bigger the accident the better. Mine was only small but I'm planning on a bigger one to seduce the Bollywood industry one day in my miiiiind.

So, aikido. Crazy how once it bites you, you can't stay away from it. Trish says it's because we're all masochists. But it's sooo good. hu yeah, I AM talking about being thrown in every kind of direction and having your limbs contorted and comparing the bruises resulting from pressures on terribly painful spots (aaaah yonkio) and rolling all over the place until you're more than breathless... Maybe one day I'll understand why it's supposedly a masochist thing to do, after all, Trish is a wise aikidoka and she's not the only one to say it is, so there must be some truth in it but I must say don't quite grasp it yet.
Anyways a neck brace and an ankle support and not really the best kind of advertisement for newcomers and I always had the pleasure of being able to say that I'd wrecked myself all by myself - off the mat. Aaaand I guess coming back on it when you're not fully healed does have a certain advertisement factor to it, shows it's addictive you see. However, this time, I did sprain my ankle on the mat... But, and I owed it to myself, I did it all by myself again. I just attacked a cute and tall guy in 6th form in a big lemming-like step forward and landed on his foot. And believe me, being carried off the mat by a nice and strong man wasn't worth what followed. Pain. Whimper. Semi-faint. Cold. Tears. Hot. Sweat. Shiver. Jumpy jumpy back home. Ankle support and crutches, finally back to walking normally aaaaaaaaand BACK ON THE MAT!!!
I'm sure you never saw that conclusion coming :p
Usually it's in really silly accidents, as boring as stepping off the sidewalk. That one actually ended up in a plaster cast (the ankle, not the sidewalk) and my foot was sooo blue/green/purple when the cast came off that I almost fainted upon seeing it. Btw, question for the scientists: why on earth are we ok, just so long as we don't see the blood or the bruise? And the most thrilling accident for an audience was the neck sprain when I rode head first into a pole, on a bike not on a poor horse. Unintentionally of course, it's not my fault the flaming pole decided to have a stroll in the middle of the cycle path... And it did that exactly when I was looking down to check if there wasn't a hole on my trousers tststs. Someone oughta educate them poles. So the result was a bigger hole in the trousers than there already was, and a flawless performance of a faint on stage that evening. Unintentional again. Seriously, why on earth did about 50 people decide to gather in a theatre to watch a show the exact evening when I fainted from off my stool while acting the part of a drunken beggar? tststs, voyeuristic all of them. Oh yeah, and the video was shot that evening so that the faint has way more fans than my play (which I was mainly directing, the acting part was an accident really) will ever ever have.
So my advice for the would-be famous is: just have an accident before stepping on stage, it works wonders. The bigger the accident the better. Mine was only small but I'm planning on a bigger one to seduce the Bollywood industry one day in my miiiiind.

So, aikido. Crazy how once it bites you, you can't stay away from it. Trish says it's because we're all masochists. But it's sooo good. hu yeah, I AM talking about being thrown in every kind of direction and having your limbs contorted and comparing the bruises resulting from pressures on terribly painful spots (aaaah yonkio) and rolling all over the place until you're more than breathless... Maybe one day I'll understand why it's supposedly a masochist thing to do, after all, Trish is a wise aikidoka and she's not the only one to say it is, so there must be some truth in it but I must say don't quite grasp it yet.
Anyways a neck brace and an ankle support and not really the best kind of advertisement for newcomers and I always had the pleasure of being able to say that I'd wrecked myself all by myself - off the mat. Aaaand I guess coming back on it when you're not fully healed does have a certain advertisement factor to it, shows it's addictive you see. However, this time, I did sprain my ankle on the mat... But, and I owed it to myself, I did it all by myself again. I just attacked a cute and tall guy in 6th form in a big lemming-like step forward and landed on his foot. And believe me, being carried off the mat by a nice and strong man wasn't worth what followed. Pain. Whimper. Semi-faint. Cold. Tears. Hot. Sweat. Shiver. Jumpy jumpy back home. Ankle support and crutches, finally back to walking normally aaaaaaaaand BACK ON THE MAT!!!
I'm sure you never saw that conclusion coming :p