Monday, May 29, 2006
Fantasy... becoming a fiction?
I loved the Robin Hobb books. I loved Wheel of Time. I even loved Robinson ages ago. But now I've lost my fantasy inspiration... I've been reading some Eddings but I didn't really get into them as much as I had in Hobb and WOT. These I could stay up reading until daybreak. Actually I could not not read until daybreak. Eddings I just read until 1 or 2am... Well I did buy the whole of the first series and then the first of another series and then the first of yet another series (didn't find the second hand 2nd one of the other series I'd started - did you get that??). But then instead of going out and looking for yet more fantasy books, I drifted back to classical reads. Which I've never really read as pass time except for Victor Hugo and Balzac (so yeah French dudes) when I was a teenager. Does it make me an English teenager now because I'm reading English classics for fun? Okay okay we are leaving Shakespeare aside, I'm only talking about novels here cause Shake sure is a classic and I sure have read it for leisure :pSo maybe my passion for fantasy is drawing to an end? Or maybe I'm just lacking good advice as to what to read in fantasy (hint hint, inspire me, inspiiiiiire me)...
See the thing is that fantasy lays more importance on and is more imaginative about what is told rather than how it is told, whereas literature goes the other way round. Hobb does make a huge effort in writing well and she's really nice to read. So she's got both things going on really - the writing and the exciting story in a parallel universe that completely flies you off your head. Jordan (WOT) is so good at creating a whole universe of different cultures/societies and at having his characters develop that you don't really notice it that he uses the same sorts of constructions and the same vocab a lot... So I guess with these I can really enjoy the fun story and the dreaming of distant worlds and supernatural powers thing.
But some other fantasy authors really put me off by how poor their written English is. And whaddoyou know I'm a purist as far as English is concerned. I'm an Englishist actually. I have a hard time bearing it when other people use bad English. I'm the only one allowed to make mistakes cause then I don't realise I do hehe :p And btw, if you hear me/see me using defective English, please please do tell me.
So now the issue with classic stuff. Take DH Lawrence because I'm reading it now. And yeah I talk about it a lot but it's kind of having an effect on me. It's really really well written, so much so that it can inspire me when I write - if I've just been reading it :p The way he writes is weird sometimes, different, special, so we are trapped in a very special parallel universe that he creates only with his words. So that's cool even if it can be a bit disturbing at first. But what he says is just too real. These lovers have fights and it's just true. I don't know how to put it but he's understood stuff, he knows. You see this woman going into hysterics and that's just me, and lots of other women out there. And you see men - well I won't be offensive here - but that's just men. The reality, the truth of it all is what's been affecting me. Too much maybe...
(to be continued...)
Comments:
<< Home
Cats, invented by Leonardo da Vinci in 1475, can jump as high as they desire. Only their crippling fear of heights restrains them from launching themselves into orbit.
Soooo you been drinking too much Dunken?? I mean it's a really funny comment, true, but how is that related???
Post a Comment
<< Home
