Tuesday, May 02, 2006
Favourite Indian Picture
Let's try and make this blog a little more interesting :p
The last picture was taken in Mumbai during the Ganpati festival, more precisely the day of the immersions. That is when all the effigies of the Elephant-headed god that have been worshipped in the 10 preceding days are taken in countless processions to the beach at low tide. There are last pujas (prayers) there and then the tide come up and dissolves the effigies which are made of painted mud. If I understood it all correctly. Here's what I mean by effigy:

So during these processions the place is SWARMING with people, I don't think I've seen that many people in the same place ever. I mean that. It's really impressive. So little tourist me was taking pictures cause I was mesmerized by all the music and dancing and throwing of colours and especially by the sheer quantity of people. I was riding in a rickshaw with Nusha and trying not to be too obvious about the picture taking cause I don't really like to be flagged as an obnoxious tourist even when I most obviously am. So when I hear the people on the side of the rickshaw yelling something about pictures I hide in my rickshaw, feeling guilty. But Nusha tells me they actually want me to take a picture. So I quickly set my slow digital camera onto picture taking and this is what came out:

I just love the look of delight in the little boy's face and how protective the man looks, the general atmosphere of joy that comes out of it and the amazing speed with which they all went into position :) If there's one thing I'd really like to do it's find a way to get this pic to the little boy.. But he's one amongst millions in Mumbai so I don't this that'll be much doable...
Maybe one day he'll become a Bollywood star and I'll recognise him and get him the pic, and he'll be so thankful he'll want me to star in his next movie... In my miiiind
The last picture was taken in Mumbai during the Ganpati festival, more precisely the day of the immersions. That is when all the effigies of the Elephant-headed god that have been worshipped in the 10 preceding days are taken in countless processions to the beach at low tide. There are last pujas (prayers) there and then the tide come up and dissolves the effigies which are made of painted mud. If I understood it all correctly. Here's what I mean by effigy:

So during these processions the place is SWARMING with people, I don't think I've seen that many people in the same place ever. I mean that. It's really impressive. So little tourist me was taking pictures cause I was mesmerized by all the music and dancing and throwing of colours and especially by the sheer quantity of people. I was riding in a rickshaw with Nusha and trying not to be too obvious about the picture taking cause I don't really like to be flagged as an obnoxious tourist even when I most obviously am. So when I hear the people on the side of the rickshaw yelling something about pictures I hide in my rickshaw, feeling guilty. But Nusha tells me they actually want me to take a picture. So I quickly set my slow digital camera onto picture taking and this is what came out:

I just love the look of delight in the little boy's face and how protective the man looks, the general atmosphere of joy that comes out of it and the amazing speed with which they all went into position :) If there's one thing I'd really like to do it's find a way to get this pic to the little boy.. But he's one amongst millions in Mumbai so I don't this that'll be much doable...
Maybe one day he'll become a Bollywood star and I'll recognise him and get him the pic, and he'll be so thankful he'll want me to star in his next movie... In my miiiind