Saturday, May 06, 2006
On the Magic Power of Flowers
Why are flowers this soothing? When I walk in a garden that's filled with flowers, it lifts my spirits. It could be this fresh sweet thick perfume that catches you unawares and just makes you want to close your eyes and breathe in... such overpopwering fragrance can have a devastatingly dreamy effect on you.
Or maybe it's the lively colours and the intricately delicate shapes that delight the eye and make you gaze upon such loveliness in an attempt to understand what the pattern of the flower is. Or the harmony that comes out of flowers growing together in an ensemble created through the unity of sheer beauty. Or their inherent fragility that makes you hardly brush against them to feel their softness... It's probably the result of both smell and sight being aroused together.
I don't think that's all there is to it though. Living in the city makes us - me at any rate - yearn for the countryside sometimes. Just walking by a flower shop makes me slow my pace and linger around. I think we probably need to be in touch with nature. We get to miss it with concrete all around us, and flowers are a perfect symbol for nature in as much as it's often what we find most beautiful about it. Interesting for something that essentially shows off the reproducing elements of a plant...
Whatever makes us love flowers this much, what's undeniable is that one of the nicest things people can do out of the blue is to offer flowers. I just received a bunch of flowers today, and it really made me happy. Even more than receiving a box of chocolates. Although that's always nice too, but chocolate cheats: it actually holds an addictive chemical element or something.Fragile tiny flowers do have a power, they enlighten our day and makes us feel better about ourselves... and may offer a reminder of how beautiful and simple the world can be out there, to us who just have to make it crazy and complicated.
Comments:
<< Home
So I got new flowers since I posted this... Which makes it the most flowered time I've ever had :D I don't think my desk could take more. Yippeeeee
Post a Comment
<< Home
