Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 

SLC

I spent the trip over in a hazy halo of sleep and headache... it all went by as if in a parallel dimension that I just happened to be able to see. There were tons of delays because of the new security measures but I can hardly remember all that it's all gone in this wheezy region of my brain. So much so that I thought I'd be unable to understand where I was upon waking up but for some reason that didn't happen. Maybe because I woke up before the alarm clock and therefore when my brain was ready to face the place!!
The place is SLC, Sarah Lawrence College, and I'm here for a year. It's always weird to get to a new place and know you're going to have to adopt it for the next year. I still feel like I'm only here for a few days, like it's just a phase. It'll probably sink in soon, like when teh fog that fills my brain has cleared!!
So about here.
It's raining... LOTS!! What do you mean you don't care about the weather, all you wanna know is if there are hot guys/chicks on campus???? Well, they're all 18 anyways so you wouldn't be interested!
Yeah so first impression: I'm old :o Usually I'm amongst the youngest people around. This time I'm close to being the oldest, if you except teachers of course. It feels strange, and I feel aloof somehow.
But that's also because I'm special ;) I'm a French assistant so I'm part of the teaching body but at the same time I'm a student, but I'm not an international student even though I'm not an American student and I can audit courses but not fully take them, which completely changes the whole process of choosing courses and getting registered. And believe me you don't want me to get into that because it's a looong story. So anyways I'm special :D and the only other person who fits in the same category is the other French assistant, who also lives with me: Lelia. And it's the only language for which they have us as well so there really only is just us two! I'll be seeing her a lot btw, we not only share a room and a job but interests as well, she's into theatre and performance and all. And we have to set up the French table and the French club, which we've decided would consist in putting on a French Pantomime! Lots of plans...
The rest is going to be random, I'm still jetlagged and I didn't get much sleep before coming over.. I had a great time with my friends whom I met in a bar to say goodbye, and did other things as well so I ended up sleeping a great 30 minutes or naybe up to 1 hour.... :o So yeah excuse my rant :p
The apartment I'm staying in is designed for 6 people and I share it with Lelia (we have the same room and a common bathroom) and with four guys, three of whom are freshmen and therefore about 6 or 7 years younger than me! They look nice but I've already had to sleep with my earplugs in if you see what I mean... So the two of us, me and my double (that's Lelia for those who didn't follow :p) might be relocated because we were supposed to get singles originally, and with older people!
We live at the very end of campus but that's cool cause it's just above the sports center, so lots of gym for me this year, and right next to a big shopping mall kind of thing where I need to buy a phone - so I can talk to the world - and an umbrella!!!!! I'm aleready wearing my big hiking shoes I'd planned for the snow because my other shoes have no hope in this weather, they'd all get soaked in no time!
As far as courses are concerned I'll only be auditing and the stuff I wanna take is mainly theatre, which requires a lot of work only if you're participating 100% and they probably won't be able to integrate me that much because they're all packed courses. So it shouldn't be too much work. Except for the german class... It meets 4 times a week and there's an extra hour of practice so it's pretty intense, which rocks cause I'm finally going to be learning this language! I'd been meaning to for ages because it's my missing Swiss language: I already have Italian and French so I'll only be able to understand every one from my country when I also speak a bit of German. I know one year is not THAT much but with four lessons a week plus an extra hour and knowing there are only 5 students in the course so far, I should learn quiet a bit!
So so far I'm taking german, a class that takes you out to the theatre to check out the theatre season and then talk about the plays (if they have enough space for me), and maybe a course on directing... I hope I can do all that, but since I have no details about my teaching job as yet I don't know if it'll fit in my schedule or what!
It'll all get more in place as things go along and as my brain recuperates... maybe in a zillion years you'll get a witty post that makes sense ;)
Oh yeah and I don't have the internet is my room as yet so I'm using the library and so far no phones, neither cellphone nor landline so I'm all alone and abandonned by our super efficient 21st century communication universe!

Comments:
German? 4 classes a week? No doubt you'll make progress very fast. Try to remember that most words that end with -e have a plural in -en and are therefore feminin; and that most words that end with -en (the ones that have a plural form ending with -e) are masculin*; the rest is neutral. But don't tell this to your teacher, he'll tell you it's wrong and give you thousands of counterexamples, but I know it's true for about 85% of the words in German, which is more than enough in a conventional conversation.

Have fun in your new life, and see you soon!

*Perhaps is it the other way round...
 
Salut nini,
depuis que betty m'a donné l'adresse de ton blog je me connacte régulièrement!
C'est top de pouvoir avoir de tes nouvelles.

je pense bien fort a toi et je suis sur que ce sejour outre atlantique sera aussi génial que le précédent a été difficile!

je voulais juste te faire un petit commentaire sur un de tes articles (je suis un vieux et je ne sais pas comment appeler ces "articles"), je suis ravi que tu ai pris conscience que tu étais largement aussi brillante que tous les guignols qui font de soit disant "grandes écoles" et surtout par rapport a eux tu as une expérience de la vie sans comparaison.
Je crois que c'est surtout ca qui est important car c'est ca qui permet d'etre heureux et c'est ce que l'on recherche tous non?


je t'embrasse trés fort


ton cousin julien
 
Salut nini,
depuis que betty m'a donné l'adresse de ton blog je me connacte régulièrement!
C'est top de pouvoir avoir de tes nouvelles.

je pense bien fort a toi et je suis sur que ce sejour outre atlantique sera aussi génial que le précédent a été difficile!

je voulais juste te faire un petit commentaire sur un de tes articles (je suis un vieux et je ne sais pas comment appeler ces "articles"), je suis ravi que tu ai pris conscience que tu étais largement aussi brillante que tous les guignols qui font de soit disant "grandes écoles" et surtout par rapport a eux tu as une expérience de la vie sans comparaison.
Je crois que c'est surtout ca qui est important car c'est ca qui permet d'etre heureux et c'est ce que l'on recherche tous non?


je t'embrasse trés fort


ton cousin julien
 
Hihi
Ne tappe pas trop sur les normaliens y'en a quelques uns qui lisent mon blog et qui sont tres sympas, ils risquent d'avoir envie de se cacher apres ca!! Sinon c'est cool que tu viennes me lire, et en plus tu postes des commentaires :D
Regis, thanks for the tip but it wasn't very clear.. could you have a chekc on it before I learn the rule and get it all wrong all the time?? :p When you coming over to NY? I dunno you just talking about seeing me soon!!
 
Have you checked out the Dojo yet?
 
Unfortunately, the gym is still closed... it's still orientation week so it'll only open next week... I'll check out the SLC aikido club then and if I really NEED more I'll hunt for a club elsewhere...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?