Saturday, September 09, 2006

 

Me myself and I

After inquiry from quite a few people who are desperate to know more, here is what I do. I guess the title isn't that appropriate since this whole blog is basically about me but I feel like this one is going to be even more so because it is all about what I spend my time doing. I dunno who said that (I say that way too often, I need to brush up my general knowledge...) but it's your actions that really tell what you are. So here are my activities, to make up for my actions...
Me the student audits three classes. One is pure fun and consists in going to the theatre every other Sunday and then chatting about the play. Not too hard :) I don't even have to go to class to discuss the plays if I don't want to so it's, like I said, 100% leisure. The other theatre class I'm taking demands way more participation. I'm going to direct a one act play and act in one - I didn't know about the acting part when I signed up... So for next week I need to present a monologue :o I haven't acted in a while so it's not going to be easy, we'll see what come out of it, especially without direction. And I've been doing lots and lots of reading to find a one act play I want to direct. There are a few I've really liked when I read them but I also have to choose it according to who's in the class and therefore who my actors are. So I can't really make a decision before I see the others' monologues and see what metal they're made of, so to speak. The last class I'm taking is German for beginners. I thought it'd be lots and lots of work since it meets 4 times a week but Nike, the teacher (pronounce neeke), likes talking a lot so we haven't been doing much so far. She did however take us to the city (NY) to go to the Moma yesterday because there was a special DADA exhibition. I'd never gone to the Moma, or I don't remember going, and I've only very recently discovered an interest for modern art - thanks to teh agrégation of all things - so I had a great time, and I am definitely going back. On Fridays after 4pm, when it's free...
Myself the teacher, or rather the assistant, makes beginners and advanced beginners recite their verbs and pronounce French words sort of decently. I do that 6 hours a week and at first I thought I'd die of boredom because it's not thrilling to repeat the same thing over and over again but I actually like doing it as much as when I was helping people out with linguistics two years ago. I always come out of class with a big smile on my face or at least an elated feeling. So it it does that even when I'm only going over the present tense, it can only get better when it gets more interesting :) Aaaand someone's interested in my as a private tutor, which would mean extra cash, and I really need that if I want to go to Argentina over the winter's break...
I the private individual go to the gym more than I ever have, and following Andrew's advice I've started running again and remembered that when I was 16 or so I used to get up early in the morning when they were all sleeping to go jogging in the countryside over the summer vacation... I'd totally forgotten about that. I'll soon start up aikido again, it begins on Wednesday so suspense, we'll see what it's like this side of the Atlantic... I try and go to NY once a week in order not to get a stifling feeling by staying on campus all the time. My main purpose in going down is going to the Met and Moma and Natural History museum and all the museums I can think of because they are wonderful in NY. And I also buy groceries there, because they're cheaper and better :o
Soon we'll set up the French table with James and we'll try and organise the French pantomime which I'll direct, and I'll start meeting people and want to make dinners and have people over. But not yet because they have a big wall you have to dig through apparently.
I did ask about people ignoring others when they know them, I put the question to Anthony whom I'm getting along with pretty well, he's the Residential Advisor for my corridor so he's sort of "in charge". So apparently it is a bit because they want to protect themselves because this campus is so small. What he explained was that you really need to start to know a person well before they open up because they don't trust you until they are sure of you. Before that, they are scared you'll speak ill of them behind your back or something silly like that. Yeah, not the same culture.
Voilà. Oh yeah and I've started being a little library mouse, I spend quite a bit of time haunting the place to find books (one act plays mostly). I'll soon be fit to work there :p

Comments:
Quel chic !
Aller à New York pour quelque musée ou épicerie !
Du théâtre, à voir, à jouer, à lire, à prévoir...soit "100 % leisure"
Quel plaisir, un boulot dont on sort avec le sourire, des bouquins à lire !
Merci pour ces bonnes nouvelles d'Amérique.
 
Concerning this thing that you say quite often about action, it should relate quite well to this sentence by Gandhi; it should be like : "To believe in something and not live it would be dishonest". Rings a bell ?

And by the way, your mum sounds really awesome!!!! ;)
 
Ok I hate blogger. I just wrote a comment and it dissappeared :'(
And now I have to type it all again...
It is funny you should mention Gandhi today, dear due viceroy, since it is the 100th anniversary of his commitment to non violence.
I'm not sure I heard the phrase before but I do agree with what he says and I am tempted to believe that we all have been dishonest at some point or another because I think there is something for all of us that we think strongly about but that we don't act upon. Take me and politics...
The bell the phrase rings (hum - how un-English is that?) is quite different. I think it was in "Rock 'n Roll" but I heard recently something to teh effect of: "if you don't know the truth you're an idiot, if you know the truth and hide it you're a criminal" but I'm not sure it was "truth".
Do I really say that a lot about action?
 
Well, I didn't know about the 100th anniversary of his commitment to non violence!! But I'm glad I commemorated this day unconsciously !

I don't really know about you and politics since we didn't have many occasions to chat on that specific matter, i don't really know either if if you say that often about action (it's actually the first time i hear or read you talk about that); but i can think of some points on which i express clear wishful thinking… which actually….are the main aspects of my life !! A criminal at work, a criminal in my spiritual life:my dishonest life serves the transient, it serves short-run and selfish pleasures.

But if being dishonest makes you happy (happy with a heavy conscience), do you want to take the risk of losing that happiness ? Afterall, you always know what you can lose, but rarely what you can win.

Criminals and dishonest fellows, good day.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?