Thursday, September 28, 2006

 

Missing Curtains


Would you like to live on the ground floor, window facing the street, but without the possibility to close curtains? But you wouldn't even like living there if you had to close the curtains all the time, right?

I was quite excited at the prospect of being 'special' when I first got here. It's fun, makes one feel unique. This lack of status, of a little box in which you're placed, does have its downfall though. When you have a front to present to the world, you can use it as a shield, to protect yourself and to preserve yourself. I haven't found a front to present, a shield to hide behind, and I've felt like there was an open window there giving directly on me. The only front I have is me. Well what's the problem with that? You'd think it's great, that I get to just be open with my character and never to misguide people or pretend... that's true but I don't think I ever use my fronts as a way to fool people, and I never keep the front up so much that no one can ever take a peep through it. I like to think that I'm fairly honest. But it does means I have to define who 'me' is to be able to present it. As written up there on the blog, I'm hopelessly looking for a better self-definition. I don't think anyone really fully grasps who they are and I'm certainly very far from that...
This heightened state of me-ness forces me to look inward and go hum. "look inward": well do I like that? Not fully yet, I have to get used to looking in and appreciating it enough to feel comfortable in showing it.
"go hum": I'm finding new things and shifting elements inside a bit. Like the direction of my research or my approach to relationships and how I let them affect me...

In the end I'm sure missing curtains will have had a positive effect on me but it has been a bit hard till now. I think that's what it comes down to, the little bit of a hard time I've had adjusting to here. Not the language, the culture, the activities I've been having, but missing curtains.

Comments:
Interesting post... Most people will have a 'front' that they feel safe behind when meeting new people in particular. It's a natural safe psychological defence against the unfamiliar... it doesn't mean that this front is there to mis-lead or mis-guide someone else into believing what you're not, what you are and what you are like, personality, character, honesty etc. will come through, so in my opinion, I tend to think of a front as more of a filter to who I want to know better :-)
 
The world would be a much better place without those kinda curtains... I still in favour of curtains on bedrooms though... and houses in general.
 
Not have a status is an illusion. You have one, even in this little world of Sarah Lawrence, even when you are a tourist in New York. New people looking at you have their own curtains in there eyes and they see you through it. They cannot see what you think you are, or even what you are thinking. But they can like or not the shape of your silhouette, like on the picture, and have or not the wish to see you longer in different lights and postures. Outside of the story of the curtains, did somebody hurt you in what you feel very intimate and precious ? Tell me, I will beat him.
Lots of love to whom is desperately adorable.
 
I'm not sure Andrew... like Jack says, it's a kind of filter and sometimes it does provide a kind of rest yah know. It'd be an interesting experience to see what would happen without them tho. I don't think they're detrimental, I see it kind of like fur on animals, they need it against the cold. And well sometimes we need it against other people, even when they mean well.

And don't worry mum, no one's done anything wrong to me, if anything I've found a really good friend and you won't have to beat him ;)
 
Well... I think those kinda of protections allow you to hide your weak points. Its only through careful removing of those protections that I think you streagthen your weak points and grow to be a stronger person. I am not saying tear down the curtains, but more that in an ideal world people would not need curtains and that moving towards my goal as a stonger person living in a better world means removing those curtains.
 
Remember the guy who says "70% is how you look, 20% how you sound, 10% what you say" ? I'm sure you do! To him and according to my own understanding of what curtains are, 90% is curtains (you can recalculate on an excel sheet). Whatever you do.

Most people of our age have at least an idea of what their curtains are but, like you, like me, they are trying to figure out what the other 10% are made of. But I don't want to get into that, i'd just like to add that curtains have nothing wrong, they just are, whatever you do; you can arrange them, influence their shapes and colors, consciously or not. Few people, I think, use fake curtains to hide or draw attention exagerately.

You can know your curtains (using the word "front" should be more appropriate btw) by taking some time to think, or looking in the eyes of your bestfriend or your girlfriend, i don't think it is something hard to achieve.

Last thing boys and girls, do not forget to wash your curtains from time to time !
 
I've been sitting outside your place for weeks now and have so far only managed to see you naked twice.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?