Saturday, September 02, 2006
To be connected...
Today was the great connection day!Lélia and I spent the week trying to get our connection to the world sorted – phone and internet. The first failure came with the internet. Whereas my roommate could get a wifi connection on her pc, mine didn't detect anything, or too fleetingly so for it to be of any use. So we (me and my double) went to the huge shopping centre called Cross County to hunt for a phone and ethernet cables, and to sort her cellphone, which didn’t work. When we came back home with our new cables and our phone, the second failure awaited me: the ethernet cable wouldn't plug into my pc :'( So Whereas Lélia was super happy with her really quick connection with which she was chatting on webcam, I was all sad and dejected with still no internet on my pc... So I set up the phone with the great hope that this, at least, would be easy. The next day, when it was supposed to be fully charged, which meant the instructions allowed us to use it without wrecking the batteries, I picked it up to set the voicemail. But OH horror, there was no dial tone!! :o So that initiated a marathon between several offices and maintenance services to finally register the request that asks them to come fix it. I must admit they did a pretty good job on that one because it was sorted by the next day, i.e. today :) Aaaand we got our first phone call, from my mum. The phone rang and our first reaction was “oh crap, what is it this time???” because we’ve been plagued by quite a few fire alarms since we got here. But then we realised it was the phone and we both shrieked with pleasure and jumped on it while issuing great yells of “it’s the phooooone”. And yes, the yells are getting shriller so we are already getting Americanised…
That happened just after the second miracle of the day. I'd gone back to the computer store and whined about my old pc and the cable that wouldn't fit in and the shop assistant - after insisting I should go out with him on Sunday, and I still don't know if that's part of the service :p - sold me yet another item which serves as an adaptor basically. I reached home with my new, expensive, device and tried setting it up and almost ran back to the store to murder the guy because the bloody wire wouldn’t fit in the adaptor that was meant to be made for it :o Turned out that we were being too gentle and Michael, one of my flatmates, forced the plug in the adaptor for me. Pfffuuuu. A few minutes later, a shrill sound was being emitted from my side of the room as I realised that YEAY I have a connection!!! This is going to make me write way more regularly on the blog and enable me to be on msn and to listen to my Bollywood songs on raaga, which I am doing as I write.
A few moments after that, Lélia and I stepped out to go for dinner and… miracle again: her cell phone rang!! She'd really had lots of trouble setting it up, returning to the store twice and struggling with the registration. Can you guess what happened when she hung up from her first call? She produced the shrillest sound as yet reached today as she jumped up and down in exhilaration!
So now you know the recipe to make two French girls in NY sound like American teenagers and reach spasms of pleasure: just connect them :p
Comments:
<< Home
Le rodage des moyens de communication continue ! Impossible de te joindre au téléphone par le biais de Télérabais. Qui, parmi tous tes amis superdoués en communication internationale instantanée et presque gratuite, peut m'aider à te joindre aussi aisément que si tu étais à Paris ? J'aime entendre ta voix et ton rire.
Post a Comment
<< Home
