Sunday, December 24, 2006

 

BA

Buenos Aires.
Humongously huge. So much so that it makes one wonder how it is humanly possible to put all these people together and expect them to just live together. It's crazy. And it's not like I've never been to a large city before but this one just blows my mind... Other than that, it's very very much like Europe. Some places are very like Paris I found, others like Milan, and even once, at one corner, I could have sworn I was in NY. Ok that's not very European but it's still a familiar landscape. So the things that struck me:
Waiters stading outside the restaurants handing ads - everywhere.
Drivers having no respect for people: if you're in the way, get out of the way and quickly too!
Alfajor everywhere. They're little round cakes usually with dulce de lece fillings.
BUSES, tons of busses, busses everywhere, the same numbers of busses following each other; and then followed by two of a different number... crazy! I guess it is needed with the ammount of people there are but I was impressed.
Aaaand Fuerza Bruta. It's a show that is very hard to describe. I went there with my mum. We were parked in a large place that looked like a nightclub: just space with smoke and coloured lights and groovy music and everyone standing there, often starting to dance. Then a stage rolled into the audience, between the people who had to move to let it go by. There was a rolling carpet thingy like in the gyms on the stage and a guy running pretty fast against all sorts of obstacles - including his getting shot twice; mum and I even got drops of fake blood on our face! And then all sorts of tableau of the same sort: people moving a lot, not speaking at all (which rocks cause my Spanish might be getting better thrugh staying here but it's not grand and it was the first night...), the whole thing in very beautiful lights and extremely original. I'd never seen a show like that! At one stage a gigantic plastic pool was lowered above our heads with girls "dancing" on the bottom (there was little water) so we could see the shapes of the bodies and all. Sorry guys, not naked. At another point there was a sort of giant aluminium-looking curtain on which girls were running and jumping and all - horizontally! Apparently the same sort of show was already done by this company and they did an international tour but I'd never heard of it. Anyways, mindblowing and really refreshing!
Apart from that, the hayday of BA for me was cycling in the natural reserve along the what I will obstinately call sea because the Rio de la Plata is so huge you can't see the other side so it's a sea, there you go. I love cycling and it was in between trees with flowers and birdies and we even caught sight of an iguana!
Now it looks like I don't like BA but I do, it's a very nice town, even beautiful in a lot of places, but it's so like home I don't really know what to describe you see. I could definitely live there IF it were smaller...
Next time, Salta where I am now; and in the mean time, merry christmas!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?