Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Actor Tamed & New Project
So the first time I saw the actor after his absence, in class, he immediately apologised with some really unacceptable excuse, which I answered very coldly and firmly. He then tried to tell me he'd thought about some stuff for the play (he was being very apologetic and almost subservient: that's the problem he comes moping with puppy eyes and you forgive him...) but I brushed him aside telling him I wasn't using him that day. I think that actually jolted him quite a bit, because I quite obviously was upset, and then probably hit his actor's pride by somewhat ignoring him.
Today he did come to rehearsal, on time (yeay), and I just took him aside and quite gently (but I guess my worry for the show transpired) asked him if we could count on him for the play and the rehearsals. He said yes, absolutely; and this time I will be naive enough to believe him and give him a chance because he seemed earnest. He was on time for the first time after all, and he had made an effort with his lines. And the rehearsal actually went really well.
Pfiu, hopefully one less worry.
Hopefully.
Other than that, I had an interview which the theatre teacher who's in charge of producing the season of plays shown in the College's theatres about a project I'd presented with jAms. It's Petits Pantomimes: Molière Bites. Basically consisting in taking a few of Molière's plays and abridging them drastically to make mimes out of them, so that it's accessible to the audience, and then adding a few French words here and then to make it clearer to those who do speak French a little. It'd be fun and would enable me to explore the role of the body on stage even more.
So anyways, the project had been rejected - actually as I found out mainly because they didn't know who I was - but the producer told me today he actually would like to incorporate it in the season, sort of as an appetizer to another production. Originally there were four Molière plays shortened to 15 minutes each but I'd only do one. That would actually be perfect because it means I get to work on the project but it's not too much time investment: great compromise :)
Nothing is set yet, the producer needs to see what he can do with it, but he really liked the project and will try and make it work. It would be absolutely groovy if it were to be the case.
So that's good news.