Sunday, January 14, 2007

 

PhD


Having cereal in the morning of my departure, I look back in the week and review my decisions and realisations.
The most important decision I took is that, after all, I'm going to apply for a PhD. I had decided against it because of the incredibly hard time I'd had to get into my research and because I though, after all, teaching in high school or preparatory classes would be fine. But after a few days hunting libraries and photocopying the books I can't easily get at SLC like a frantic terror of the green light, after talking to various people who went for a PhD or for the highschool option, after attending a research conference for two days, I decided that it was way, and I mean way better for me to ask for PhD funding. So there goes, I now need to study study for my DEA so that I can put together the application soon.
A realisation: man I missed Aikido!!! I went as much as I could in Paris, got sore, went even more. I had really missed it and, indeed, I'm addicted. I want more more more all the time.
A remark: however much you've been away from real dear friends, however much you might have lost touch and drifted apart because of different life, when you meet them again there is always first a slightly "get back on the same plane" moment of what have you been up to, where are you at, what's cooking, and then something clicks and the conversation kicks up like you'd been seeing the person every day. It's very pleasant :) So thanks Sophie, for freeing yourself for ME :D Makes one feel special when such a special person treats us as special hehe a lot of specials hun?
And I guess the last thing, even though it's not tied to having been here here specifically, is that every day I realise that David is even a little bit more awesome and wonderful!
So now I'm off to grab the plane that'll take me to an emptiness of linguistic books, but the wholeness of being with him :p

Comments:
Well Good Luck with the PhD thing! and get training! Are you still on for Aikido Summer School?
 
It was lovely for me too :)
Please try and come back soon, or else I'll have to come over (it's a threat, beware ;)
 
Hey... I hear there's a phd you can do in Aikdo somewhere in the states! best of both worlds, although you may not get funding for it heheheh :-)
 
I dunno about AISS, it depends on which country I'm in at the time... I'm hoping to be there tho, I'll even try and drag David with me :)
Yeah Jack, funding for an Aikido PhD miiight be a bit tough hehe but it would rock big time. Yah know tho, I'm sure there is research to be made with all the different styles and the history of it and how practice of the body affects the mind etc. I mean there IS a philosophy of Aikido, so hey maybe I should start pestering Philosophy Unis for them to gimme money :p
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?