Tuesday, January 23, 2007
What is love anyways?
Is it a feeling?
That's what most people would answer.
But if it's the case, how can it go on for hours, days, weeks... No feeling goes on for that long, feelings take over you and then leave, they're momentary. They can recur, sure, but then are we constantly in and out of the feeling of love and need to keep it alive like embers?
Is it a state?
That would mean that something propels you in this state and once it's reached, some other thing needs to happen to propel you out of it. So what is the action or momentum or gesture that starts it? I guess believers in love at first sight would vote for that option. It does make it quite flimsy though: if love appears like that, it means it could dissappear any time, because of just a word or action.
Is it a relationship?
A friend of mine says you can only say for sure that you love someone after about a year. Can you only say that you love someone once you've established a relationship of trust and honesty, after you've shared enough experiences, after you've learnt about the other enough to know them, to know all you appreciate about them and how to deal with what you don't necessarily adore? But then what about "the pangs of despised love", how could one love without being loved in return as we see so often if that were the case? Or is that not love?
Could it be that we've been wrong all along to use this word? Does it bear any meaning whatever?
But then how could a working relationship in which the partners share a lot, talk, are honest with each other and constantly make efforts for the other, respect him/her so as not to do anything that hurts the other, want to spend time with each other and feel a want for the other when they're gone, as well as pleasure and contentment when they're there, how could such a relationship which seems to hold what's contained in all three of the possibilities/definitions above suddenly come to end because all of a sudden one of them goes "I don't love you anymore"?
Do we need a re-definition of the word and how to use it, of what it contains and does not, of what in entails?
Or maybe love has a different definiton for every individual and learning about what their definition is, as well as accepting it, is paramount in order to be able to say that you love someone.
Or maybe it's just vain to run after love and it's all an illusion, and we might all as well be workaholics or something and pour our potential for passion elsewhere...
Comments:
<< Home
Can I come eat at the French table on Thursdays even though I don't speak french? just wondering. I haven't know you for a year or anything but I still think you are great. I am not so sure what the love thing is all about myself.
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, -I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! - and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
an oldie, but still me fave...
Post a Comment
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, -I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! - and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
an oldie, but still me fave...
<< Home

