Thursday, February 22, 2007

 

Insomnia


I used to be insomniac (and not a sailor like Tracy Chapman). From basically 10 to 17 I had a really hard time falling asleep. Sometimes I'd turn over in my bed for a few hours, read from time to time and manage to sleep, sometimes I'd stay awake long enough to see the first rays of light breaking through the shutters, sometimes the last thing I remembered seeing was that the time was 30 minutes before my alarm clock rang and woke me up to go to school, and sometimes I just staid awake all night. It's a very unpleasant feeling. You're exhausted but nothing does it, you just can't sleep.
When I was in high school, I started using the cappuccinos they sell in the machines to kick me awake. the only reason I sued them is that they don't taste of coffee, which I really dislike. I'd have 2, 3, sometimes 4 and would still struggle to keep my eyes open in class in the morning. Then the effect would kick in and I'd be all jumpy and crazy awake. I really only made it awake because I used my nervous system to keep me up. And by the time it was time for me to go to bed I'd be fully fully awake, finally...
I've been progressively getting out of it since and now I can fall asleep round 11. Even sometimes 10:30... crazy stuff! However, as soon as something happens, as soon as I get worried over things, my sleeping habits are disturbed. It's not as bad as it used to be, I only stay up until 2 or 3am, but it still doesn't really help, especially since it happens when I'm stressed out or that something is bugging me; which is exactly when I'd need to be up and awake...
I just had a short bout of it because of emotional-related stuff, and as soon as there was some relief from that stuff, that same evening I was able to sleep early.
Crazy how our mind affects our body!

Comments:
What is the piece of advise that you have heard the most often to fall asleep? most people who don't know insomnia think it suffices to relax your body, blank your mind and breath deeply.

And where the hell do you manage to find all these nice pictures that you always post with your texts?
 
Yeap, I'd say deep breathing is the most common one... AND IT DOESN'T WORK when you're insomniac. It only does when you're just a bit stressed out and can't sleep or need to change your throughts in the evening. It has helped me sometimes, but neven when I was struggling with sleep in my teenage days.

Google images m'dear ;)
 
rock-a-bye baby on a tree top...
when the wind blows...
the cradle will rock...
la...la...la...la - ignore the next few lines -
Baby is drowsing
Cosy and fair...
la..la..la....

hehehe you asleep yet :-)
 
Insomnia is 90% mental. BUT sometimes extreme relazaton can settle the mind enough to induce sleep. I suggest a full body massage with jazmine oil, stanley Jordan on the CD and a big fluffy duvet....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?