Tuesday, April 17, 2007

 

Beauty and The Twelve-Pound Look


As most of you know, I was directing a one-act and acting in another this year. The one I directed is The Twelve-Pound Look by James Barrie, the author of Peter Pan, and I acted in Beauty. Any picture-taking or video-recording is banned at this school (they got sued too much by ex students who became celebrities and whose pictures or videos or whatever were then sold to be broadcasted). So, we got our own special reporter-spy, David, to film exerpts of the one acts with his picture camera. It can't hold more than 4 minutes so it's only bits of the shows but it gives an idea for those who haven't seen the plays and good souvenirs for those who were in them. Now, with the help of another super agent, Régis, we put the films on line so you can have access to them if you so wish. So just click on the links below, and then you'll have to install a plugin to view the video (took me a few seconds only). If your connection is good, it should load immediately, if not you might have to wait a little bit. If you want to understand what the hell is going on in the videos, you might want to read the background info below.

Beauty
The Twelve-Pound Look

Background:
In Beauty, I'm a consultant and I've found a genie lamp on the beach. I run to my friend, a model, who's about to have a meeting with Ralph Lauren. I tell her I wished for 25,000$ and got them, and wished for my uncle to be healed and got that. At first she doesn't believe me but then I show her the money... I tell her the 3rd wish I want is to be like her, to be beautiful because I'm just pretty and beautiful is the centre of the world. When the video starts, I'm explaining that Beauty rocks and she has tons of advantages, like having sex when she wants.
After the video, there are only two lines of text: The model says: "It's better than beauty for me, it's better than brains for you" -"What, what?" -"different problems". The model exists and I go to the lamp to rub it and the play ends.

For Twelve-Pound, you get the very end of the show. Harry is about to be knighted, he had called a typewriting agency and they send a woman to type answers to the letters of congratulations. Harry's wife first instructs the typist what to do, then Harry enters and is shocked at the sight of the typist. He dismisses his wife and we discover the typist is his ex-wife who left him 14 years before, leaving only a letter behind. She asks him how he took it (it was embarrassing for him because his friends were around) and he asks her who the man was. She manages to get the letter from him and reads it, the ps says: "You won't find out who he was, you will try but you won't succeed". So Harry asks who it was and she says there was no one, that she left him because she was suffocating under his success, she felt imprisoned, and now she's much happier being a typist (it's a feminist piece written in 1910, Barrie was one of the first men to defend the women liberation cause). The typist explains how she managed to leave: she learned how to type and when she earned her first 12 pound she left him she says: "that (12 pound) is your value to a woman Harry, if she can't make it, she has to stick to that". Now she has made fun of an old friend of his and he just asked her to leave. She says "but don't let us part in anger, how do you think I look, compared to that poor dull creatures who used to roll around in your padded carriages?" and there the video begins.

Comments:
Zut, comme d'habitude, je n'arrive pas à naviguer et ne peux donc voir ne serait-ce que des fragments de tes pièces...
Essaie d'en ramener des morceaux.
Bisous.
Maman (en français!)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?