Monday, April 16, 2007

 

Never 100%

A lot of people say I'm lucky. I speak three languages fluently, I've lived in four different countries and I can adapt pretty easily to a lot of places. Those are the obvious pros of having divorced parents coming from different countries, the only side people see and accept.
People from the countries of my languages (France, Italy, US), think I'm a native when I speak because of my accent, or rather lack thereof. But if they listen out longer, they hear there’s something fishy, in all three languages actually. Ironically enough, English, which is my 3rd language, is also my best written one, because I’ve studied it more.
My languages, which aren't perfect but almost, are only the tip of the iceberg of an identity problem: I can't identify with anywhere, I never fit in completely.
I usually describe myself as French because I've lived there most of my life but I'm not really sure how things work in the senate, I don't know the children TV shows my friends know, I can't write good academic language, I lack obvious cultural references like big French singers whose names I recognise but whose music I don't know at all... This puts me out of conversations at parties, where no, I don't drink red wine and, no, I don't smoke... So saying I’m French, especially if I then mention my italian-sounding name and say I was born in Switzerland, doesn’t really cover it. Nor does saying I’m Swiss, I don’t even know who the chief of state is there and even what you call it. As for America... I know how things work - sort of - and I'm starting to understand how interactions work, but even if I manage to crack through the walls of an American and make friends, and become pretty close, I feel like a complete outsider as soon as they speak to someone they hardly know but share all these American references with. I then become the odd one out. I feel excluded because however much people may doubt it at first when they hear me speak, no one in my family is American, I wasn't raised there, I didn't go to an American school, I just happen to have an american-sounding accent.
As for England, the other country I've lived in, I love its history, literature, music, theatre; I know all this and I know it way better than for any other of my countries. So I'm pretty good there really. Except, I only lived there as a child and as a student in a university so I don't know what "real life" is like and however much I like to call it home, I know it really isn't and that no one from the UK would ever see me as a compatriot.
So I can’t really call myself French, or Swiss, or British, or American, that's not even an option...Which leaves us with the international crowd. They would accept me, you'd think, what with having lived in 4 countries and having two citizenships, right? Except, once again, I don't fit in totally. What kind of a double nationality is French and Swiss?? They're right next door! They say. And so what you lived in the UK for four years and in the US twice for a year? It doesn't really count, it's not like you moved continents every 3 years with your parents...
The hardest to digest it that my torn cultural identity is ignored, never acknowledged or understood. Yes Lugano, my birth town, is extremely different from Paris, yes I was greatly influenced by both cultures and by British culture, yes I've had to adapt to the US, twice. So for fucks's sake, I am an international. Why won't that be granted to me by the internationals themselves? And I have a cultural split and a feeling of lack of root, however much the girl whose family come from Africa and India and who's always lived in France may sneer at me when she learns I was born next door in Switzerland and refuse that I might suffer from it in a similar way that she does.
There is nothing to label me with. I have no sticker to wear and proudly carry to define me. Behind this jumble of identities and origins, I am just me. And this "me" is my only protection, my only definition, and believe me, it's fucking hard. It's sooo much easier to hide behind a lable. But for me it's a never-ending quest for identity, as though adolescence and the fight for self-identity were a life-long struggle, that nobody even acknowledges. I mean what am I complaining about when I fit in so well? Right? And they all try, they really try, to label me, the American saying “you’re French” or the British saying “so where in America are you from?” Why do they all want to fit me in boxes, never their own? They all fit me in the wrong ones, or ones that don't fit, and then they’re surprised when details don’t match and I don’t fit. And the worse part is, I want to fit, I long to fit, I feel lost without the proper box to fit in and the pretty label on it because
I have no where I can really fully call home. I have no language, not one, in which I can express myself fully, completely, without having to use another or without sounding foreign or awkward. I never really have an evening I don't feel excluded from at one point or another because I have no clue what every one else is referring to. There is not one person who can understand the full range of my experiences. Imagine having to explain the whole university system to your boyfriend before being able to say what on earth the degree you're doing is. I always have to explain so many things. I can't share naturally.
Btw, what am I doing in NY?
I'm not a student, yet that's what my student ID says and I live on campus, I'm not faculty but I can get free breakfast at the faculty dining hall and I teach, I'm in classes but I can only audit them so I'm neither in not out...
I'm never 100% part of, always partly so.


Note:
I wrote this for a project we're doing with Elizabeth. The original theme was oppression so I tried to write about how my identity discomfort is ignored, brushed away and not understood. We're changing the piece now to move on toward stereotypes more and I thought I'd still share this because it is interesting to me and a part of me that I have only recently really accepted to look at. It's not really finished or polished so you could call it work in progress.


Comments:
Hmm... Sorry, but I have to post an answer here. You know what? I believe I can claim that I understand your situation. Now, I know it's no comfort to you, but when the conversation gets to the "where do you come from" part (it always comes to it, and often very quickly), I feel just as embarrassed as you.

Except that, of course, I don't speak three languages fluently, so there is no mistaking me for an English or an American. But I've met several Chinese people who told me, after I had told them I have lived in the Netherlands and in Germany, that I actually looked German. That definitely pissed me off.
 
V., that's one of the most honest, and interesting thing I've read in ages.

It's true - you need to be tough to travel around, and fit into new cultures (new places is not so hard).

Do you truly hope to find a box to be in some-day? I remember some Dutch girls who would refuse to tell people they were from the Netherlands - just to avoid being pigeonholed; but I suppose they had a home to go back to, where they didn't need to explain themselves.
 
Régis, why shoud you be sorry about posting an answer? I know it's tough for you too and I never meant to say that no one shares the discomfort I feel, I just meant no one shared the knowledge of the same cultures because I haven't yet met a single person who's lived in the same countries I have, you know? Just like I'm sure you'll find it hard to find someone who's lived in the Netherlands, in Germany, in China and in France. And I'm pretty sure you'd be brushed away by internationals too, because you're fully French by both parents even though you were born abroad. And it sucks that people don't understand that this can affect us, especially given that all they see is that we're young white priviledged people who speak several languages (and you do speak them fluently, the only difference is you are more detectable through accent than I am).
btw, you don't look German (aaaa trying to categorise you again!) you look like you :)

Thanks Keir, I appreciate your response, it was a hard thing to put out there actually. I don't hope to find a box some day, I don't think it's really possible, unless a new one gets created for people like me and Régis. Maybe we should found a club :p
 
V, I believe that what you describe is only the issue of freedom. The more freedom you get the more choices you have to make, and making choice is difficult.
It's true that if you were a 25-year-old girl in a French midsize city, being hardly able to understand a movie reading the subtitles because you've never been abroad, those questions of identity would not occur to you.

But you had to suffer to have parents with different culture and the life that goes with it (living in different countries...).
I wrote "suffer", because you (like everybody) had no choice on your parents' origin. But that came with great experiences.

Do you imagine at 25, all the experiences you had compared to what our grandparents (I mean the one we have in common) had at the same age?
But your right their lives have been much more simple than yours and they never wonder from what part of the world they were.

I may sound ironical but I'm not. I really think that we all have the same question :
when you feel comfortable with a situation (a job, a lover, a place you live in, in group of friend) you wonder if it's because you have not experienced different one or because it's really a good situation (you notice that I never mention the best situation...)

You did not decide (or a little) to become a french-swiss, having stayed in England, France Swiss USA and speaking fluently French American and Italian but do you think that 25 year old girl working in Sybille’s office who has never been further that 100 km from her house has decided not to have identity questions?

I miss you and apologize because I must have make a lot of errors (I’ve always lived in France)
julien
 
What shall i say then....? ;)
Patricia
 
Hehe, you were actually originally in it. I had to shorten the piece though so I took off the few lines it takes to explain your multiple origins and influences. But if anyone can qualify as international it's really you! At the same time you manage to keep a very French identity... The question is more how you feel about it, really.
So yes, what about you?? How do YOU take it to have the influnence of 5 very different countries (I'm counting The Netherlands since you're living there now)?
And btw, hello and welcome, a pleasure to see you here :D
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?