Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Frustration on board
Here I am back in Paris, very sad and teary to be far from David (two months to go without him), still jet-lagged (I did only land yesterday), already unpacked (it's a miracle) and studying (yeay!). And apparently liking brackets today :p
The few past weeks have been very hectic and active, full of Bruno, moving, commencement, David's family visiting, and emotional goodbyes. So not much time to post... or study (oops).
The trip went ok, with the usual poor food and sleep, no delays this time, although I could have been late for the plane myself what with silly traffic on the way there... however something greatly frustrated me when I was on the plane and I wrote the following - at god knows what time in the night/morning/between official times:
It is the 4th time
the ad for duty free goods booms
over the humming sound of the plane's engine.
4 calls for money
4 calls for consumerism
4 calls for materialism
In between these ads,
a quiet message for UNICEF appears on the screens.
People doze and struggle with pillows,
ignore the call for -
what?
compassion and generosity? or rather
a little more fuel for a large business which will use your donation to pay the cameraman who filmed the message the plane broadcasts as the passengers reflect upon what perfume to purchase to save most and what alcoholic beverage you'll need to pay extra for when your turn comes to exchange fake smiles with the air hostess?
gah.
