Monday, November 12, 2007
Hu... seriously?
I went to the yearly medical check for the University staff last week and something kind of outrageous happened. After deciding that everything about me was fine, and that my glasses only correct my eyes to 8.5 and not the perfect 10; the doctor decided to tell me one last thing before letting me go. She said I really should be careful about my weight because my heart wasn't made to handle that much... All she knew about me was my height, weight and vision with glasses I suppose, and basically she comes and tells me my heart is affected because I'm overweight. Which is preposterous. Now I know one of the big medical things at the moment is obesity and how people should accept it when their doctors tell them they need to lose weight. But I'm not obese and my heart is perfectly fine thank you very much; it was even confirmed by thourough tests by who I like to call my heartologist only a few weeks ago. And btw, the same heartologistwas impressed by how well I could sustain effort in the sporty part of the tests, so the Uni doctor was way off the mark when she said I wouldn't be able to do sports without getting out of breath.
So tell me, why does a fully trained doctor take two measures, weight and height, and decide just with that that I'm obese, completely ignoring muscle mass and larger bone structure? (And that's not a euphemism, seriously, I was sat next to a girl once in class who was left handed so our arms were right next to each other. I swear her wrist was at least half the width of mine. And there is no fat around my wrist.) I mean does the said doctor have no idea what a body is made of? That different people can have different body shapes and metabolisms?
I have been told all my life that I was above the normal healthy range of weight measures, yet I've never ever had any health symptoms related to weight. The only symptom I've carried over the years is psychological scarring, damaged self-esteem (which, granted, didn't only come from that) and the belief I was overweight and unattractive. Of course these were also made worse by the nagging of fellow class-mates and frequent comments by family members, that I really could have done without. If I weren't dating a man who keeps repeating I look just fine and am beautiful, I would probably be on a strict diet out of shock of what the doctor said... It's a good thing my self esteem hasn't remained as low as it once was!
So I just want to ask one thing, and say another:
- Why are the French, including the members of the medical profession, so blooming obsessed with the assumption that one has to be frail and rail-thin to be healthy and attractive?
- Stop blooming pestering me about my weight, my fat ain't going nowhere, it's perfectly happy to stay where it is now!
