Thursday, October 09, 2008
Cycling away
As you may know, there is a system called Velib' in Paris: you pick up a public metro at a station with your pass or a daily ticket and you can cycle with it for 30 minutes without being charged extra, and leave it at another station anywhere else. There are way more bike stations than metro stations, especially in the very busy areas so it's really pretty handy. Although I sometimes have to check three bikes before finding a fully functional one (they get used a lot so they get damaged easily) or cycle on to find a free slot close to where I'm going, it does work very well.
So, as part of my change of lifestyle (which includes a big change in diet), I've actually started cycling from home to Uni. I hadn't thought about it at first because it is quite far and I was worried I couldn't do it in the allotted time. But we cycled to and from Med and Nusha's place the other day, which iss just a 7 minute ride from my Uni, and I figured I could do it. And I've been doing it since then! Which is awesome because I now cycle between 45 and 55 minutes a day (I go faster when I'm less tired and there is less traffic) and I've been losing even more weight - whereas I had been stable for a few weeks with a more flexible diet. So now I've lost a total of 10 kilos since the beginning of July. 10 kilos in 3 months. That sounds crazily impressive!!! And I don't have much to wear anymore... Everything looks big on me now, except for the few items of clothing I got from my sister and had really never been able to wear. I need clothes!! When I have money, that is...
So yeay for cycling :D
On another note, my eyes are better now. My right eye is a bit irritated sometimes and lots of light is still hard on me, but I can pretty much function as I could before the surgery with my glasses. I've also started doing the things I was told I'd do just after the surgery: looking for my glasses when getting out of bed, pushing up imaginary glasses on my nose, banging things in my eyes because of the lack of protection... Odd that it took me a month to go back to my old habits of wearing glasses and that they had dissappeared before that!